Thank you! I’m currently swamped with this 31 Day Challenge stuff, so I won’t be able to make tutorials any time soon, but I’ll give you a step-by-step:
1) I started with a base of Sally Hansen Sterling Silver, which is a silver chrome polish. This is responsible for the metallic shine.
2) I lightly sponged some of Essie For the Twill of It randomly over the silver. This polish is a gray/green/purple duochrome, and it made the metal look slightly weathered.
3) Sponged some plain black polish around the nails, using a torn piece of cosmetic sponge. In some areas, I laid the black on heavily and then wiped it off with a bit of paper towel, to leave behind streaks and stains. Even more weathered-looking!
4) I painted the rust with a detailing brush, mostly using OPI OPI & Apple Pie, an orange-brown. I also used a little of Zoya Arizona (orange) and Sally Hansen Cinnamon (dark brown) to make the rust spots more uneven and mottled. I looked at a bunch of pictures of rusty shit to try and get the rust-distribution right.
5) I finished everything off with a shiny topcoat (Seche Vite, natch). When that was dry, I used a small brush to paint matte topcoat (Essie Matte About You) over the rust areas, because metal should shine but rust should not.
And that’s it. They pretty convincingly looked like old metal, especially in person, and were a lot of fun to wear. Let me know if you have any questions, or if you absolutely need a picture tutorial.